Visit New York by bike
New York City has recently set out a strong policy of developing cycle paths and getting around New York City by bike is a great idea today due to the almost 300 km of bicycle paths.
Get together on the banks of the East River, and hop on a ferry between Lower Manhattan and Brooklyn. Take in the exceptional views of the skyline from the opposite bank and the bridges.
Many museums in New York are great for kids, including:
- The American Museum of Natural History. It’s one of the largest museums in New York and has everything from dinosaurs to butterflies, and an underwater world to the spectacular Hayden Planetarium that traces the history of our universe.
- Ripley’s Believe It Or Not houses a collection of the most bizarre and incredible events and objects. The exhibits are interactive and the artefacts come from all over the world, most of which were collected by Robert Ripley.
- The Museum of Illusion is a unique, fun experience and will leave you dazzled by its many optical illusions.
The Natural History Museum is located just across the street from Central Park. After your museum visit, enjoy a moment of family relaxation in New York’s Green Lung and explore its wide pathways, carousel and the zoo.
The Brooklyn Botanic Garden is another beautiful green space. Its Chinese garden contains large exotic fish, a vegetable garden and tropical greenhouse! Staying on the Brooklyn side, Prospect Park is a place where you can relax on a rented pedalo on the lake.
Shopping Spree with the family
Are there any basketball fans in the house? There’s nowhere better than the official NBA store to get all the latest gear worn by the professional players!
Some of our other favorite shops:
- TheNintendo World Store, is a two-story shop you can try (and buy, but be careful about compatibility) games developed by Nintendo.
- At theNBC store, you’ll come across items from the series Friends or House and you can take the weight off in the famous chair from The Voice. Will you hit the buzzer?
- The Lego Store displays amazing Lego creations of famous New York monuments for grown-ups and a huge “Pick a Brick” wall for children. Choose from dozens of Lego dispensers sorted by shape and color that cover the store’s walls.
- American Girl Place: this boutique is a real life doll’s house stretching over three floors. It has an impressive choice of dolls and accessories. Must do: kids can choose the same outfit as their dolls and get their hair styled in the same way.
- TheBuild-a-Bear shop lets them create their very own teddy bear. They can choose their animal, color, name and even the melody. They help make it and end up with a personalized cuddly toy. A souvenir like no other!
- The PIQ shops: colorful pop culture souvenirs; Toytoise: pretty redesigned vintage cars; FAO Schwarz: games for all likes and ages; Economy Candy and Dylan’s Candy Bar: old-fashioned and traditional candy.
- OUTLET shops so you can shop at discount prices.
Visit New York with a local guide!
Want more recommendations and a guide on your family vacation? Offbeat New York offers custom tours for a trip you’ll never forget.